Tips & Tricks #2 File-naming and Hard-disk Managements
There are numerous ways of managing your files and folders. AES (Audio Engineering Society) have a document titled 'Recommendations for delivery of recorded music project' (Technical Document AESTD1002.2.15-02). It is one of the many ways you can manage the files using their guidelines.
Here is how I usually do it:
1. Filename of my primary folder for the album:
The date will be updated whenever I make any changes to files within that folder.
2. Master session folder filename of each song within the album folder (primary folder):
The date will be updated whenever I make any changes to files within that folder. This folder contains the protools session.
3. File-naming for Protools within the master session folder:
Example: FORWARD_SRC_2016-07-07 or FORWARD_MIX_2016-07-07
There are four status in this naming convention.
- SRC: The source record session before any editing
- EDIT: The editing session before mixing
- MIX: The mixing session before final mix
- MST: Completed Mix or Master